Following a strong growth of the presence of French citizens residing or passing through the Cluj region, the Consular Agency of Cluj was created in 2009 with the following objectives:
- To represent the French State and the Ambassador of France in Romania to the local authorities
- To promote political and economic relations with France, to promote French know-how
- To provide assistance to French in difficulty: problems with the police, justice, health
- To be the local relay of the security plan of the Embassy
- To carry out certain administrative procedures, such as voting proxies or the renewal of identity cards.